There is more to a tiny house than being more affordable than an average-sized house. These houses are smaller and thus more energy efficient. However, the smaller size also comes with its own challenges, especially those related to storage and comfort. There are several steps you can take to make your home better.
Before you choose a new tiny home and decide to move into it, it is recommended to follow these tips:
- Move in the big items before the walls are framed
- Choose between stairs and ladders
- Use tables that save space in your home
- Consider the roof shape when choosing your tiny home. The style should depend on our personal preferences.
- Consider the roof materials based on longevity and budget
- Consider the door placement of your tiny house before buying one
Storage Ideas for Tiny Homes
The sizes of tiny houses vary depending on your budget and needs. You will have to take some steps to create more storage space in your home. These houses are 400 square feet or less in area, so you will want to make the most of the available space.
Make the Most of Hidden Storage Space
Many times, tiny homes have hidden storage spaces in different places. All you have to do is to find them and turn them into useful spaces. If the loft is accessible through a staircase, you can use the space under the stairs.
- You can display books, baskets, or other items in this place
- You may also install cabinets and drawers to store pantry items or hang clothes
You can also use the floor of the loft to store shoes, clothes, and blankets.
Create Hideaway Furniture
It is recommended to create features that can be moved to make room for other items.
- If you want to save space in your bedroom while still enjoying the comfort of a full-sized mattress, consider a murphy bed for your tiny home. It should fold easily into the wall to provide you more living space.
- Consider an elevator bed that can be raised with a pulley when not in use.
- A folding tabletop provides more surface space for reading, games, and work and can fold flush with the wall when not in use.
Create a Smart Kitchen
You can never have enough space in a kitchen, even in a standard-sized home. So it is imperative to be creative with your tiny house kitchen. Use a toaster oven instead of a microwave. Use a handheld can opener in place of a countertop appliance. If you have small counter space, consider using a hot plate in place of a stovetop.
A pegboard can help save space in storing spatulas and measuring spoons. Mugs and pots can be secured on hooks. It is recommended to use items with multiple applications.
Creating a Comfortable Tiny Home
When you have a tiny home, it may seem to limit your design options. Since you will have limited space, it will be easier and faster to work on it. The following design tips should help you make it more comfortable.
Make the Most of the Walls
Your tiny home will not have enough floor space, so it makes sense to explore vertical storage space.
- Install pegboards and or wall shelves
- Use a reconditioned or new unit instead of standalone AC units
When you use the walls, it will help save floor space and make your home more interesting.
Create More Open Spaces
A home must have different areas such as dining and living areas, bedrooms, and a kitchen. Adding walls to create different areas is not a feasible thing in tiny homes. Creating small partitions will only make your home look and feel smaller.
It will be best to create open spaces in your tiny home. Create more areas by using:
- Semi-open barriers
- Decorative folding partitions
- Sliding walls
These can help divide the space without affecting the comfort.
Use Fold-Down Furniture
The wrong choice of furniture for your tiny house can make the interiors look cramped. It can make it difficult to move around. It is recommended to choose furniture pieces that are foldable or collapsible. For example, a fold-down kitchen table can be folded and tucked away when not in use. Thus, you will be able to have more floor space when the table is not in use.
Other types of foldable furniture include:
- Center tables
There are many more steps you can take to make your tiny house more comfortable. Using light-colored paints can also help create a sense of more space.
If you are interested in mountain tiny homes and need more information about them, it is recommended to contact Tiny Homes of Lake Norman at 843-300-5152.